Tagagamit:Bluemask/In the news/2007-07
Jump to navigation Jump to search
July 2007[baguhin | baguhin ang batayan]
- July 31: The UN Security Council approves Resolution 1769, which calls for a joint UN-African Union peacekeeping mission in the war-torn Darfur region in Sudan.
- Image:EinoViljamiPanula.jpg Memorial for the Unknown Child of the RMS Titanic, Fairview Cemetary, Halifax, NS, Canada
- July 30: "The Unknown Child", whose remains were recovered after the sinking of the RMS Titanic in 1912, is identified as Sidney Leslie Goodwin.
- July 31: A second South Korean aid worker taken hostage by the Taliban in Afghanistan is confirmed dead.
- July 30: Japan's ruling Liberal Democratic Party suffers a major defeat in elections to the House of Councillors.
- Image:Alberto Contador Paris-Nice 2007.jpg Alberto Contador
- July 29: Spanish cyclist Alberto Contador wins the 2007 Tour de France, which was largely overshadowed by several doping controversies.
- Image:Pratibha Patil 2.jpg Pratibha Patil
- July 26: Pratibha Patil is sworn in as India's thirteenth president and the first woman to occupy the post.
- July 25: The People's Democratic Movement (RPDC) wins the Cameroonian general election, retaining its majority in the National Assembly.
- July 24: A Palestinian medical intern and five Bulgarian nurses sentenced to death in the HIV trial in Libya on charges of causing an outbreak of HIV are freed after a deal is reached with the European Union.
- July 23: A major tenth-century Viking hoard is discovered near Harrogate in northern England.
- 100x100px|Michael Rasmussen (left) and Alexander Vinokourov (right)
- July 25: Cyclists Michael Rasmussen, Alexander Vinokourov and Cristian Moreni and the cycling teams of Astana and Cofidis are removed from the 2007 Tour de France amidst separate doping controversies.
- July 23: Heavy rains create widespread flooding in the United Kingdom, leading to the Royal Air Force's largest peacetime rescue operation.
- July 23: The Justice and Development Party (AKP) wins the 2007 Turkish general election, securing a large majority in the Grand National Assembly of Turkey.
- July 22: Pádraig Harrington defeats Sergio García in a playoff to win golf's 2007 Open Championship.
- Image:Burj.jpg Burj Dubai under construction
- July 21: The Burj Dubai (pictured) becomes the world's tallest high-rise building at 512.1 metres (1,680.1 feet), surpassing Taipei 101.